Friday, September 27, 2013

To Dine or Not to Dine

This weeks restaurant is the Coulterville General Store and Cafe...

An unexpected treat!

Being of daring spirit, hubby and I headed out of our little comfort zone and ventured into what we were sure was the twilight zone.

Heading out for a weekend of fun with friends to watch one of our favorite bands, the Copper Holdings Company, we found ourselves in the little town of Coulterville - seriously do not blink or you will miss it.

The town consists of one main road with approximately 7 buildings all clearly knocking at the door of historical registry level. Coulterville is a throw back to the days of unlocked doors, neighborly ways and haunted hotels. Yes, you read right.

While I aspired to stay in said hotel, the Hotel Jefferey boasting up to 17 ghosts, my plans were waylaid and my alternative I must say was gorgeous! In this little town of 150 there lies a bed and breakfast that is so well appointed and so cozy one would think they were in England - the Rose Cottage. Feather beds, antiques throughout the rooms, handmade quilts, a cozy library with antique settee and ah so much more, sigh.

But I digress. Food, this article is about food....


So after an evening of fun, listening to great music and bar hopping in the towns three bars conveniently located right next to each other - gives a whole new meaning to walking distance- we awoke famished. And yes a little tipsy.

Luckily the town also boasts three eateries - the Hotel Jefferey, Mary Lous coffee shop and the General Store/Cafe. Clearly our daring spirit was still in play as we decided on the General Store.

What a great decision that was!

Ordering is simple, walk up to the counter, view the huge amount of rib sticking ranch family style food and order from the incredibly perky person behind the counter, then take a seat. Within minutes our food was served and we dove in.

Me, I ordered my usual vegetarian omelet stuffed with fresh mushrooms, spinach, onions and cheese, served with a side order of the most delicious potatoes and freshly toasted sourdough bread I think I have tasted in a long time.  I gave it the good ol' college try but to no avail, as the amounts were so large I simply could not finish. Hubby's ham and eggs sunny side up was perfection! Ham slice was generous and still moist, eggs were exactly as they should be and his potatoes and bread were spot on. One other order at the table was biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, with a side of bacon. Now this was no ordinary biscuits and gravy. It was four freshly made biscuits covered in a thick rich sausage filled gravy. And the bacon was thick slab and cooked just til lightly crispy. I know this because I stole two pieces. So you ask why I always order vegetarian fare? Well, what can I say? I like my veggies:)

Bottom line, if ever in Coulterville, I suggest you stay awhile. Enjoy the local folks kindness, visit the antique store below the Rose Cottage B & B and spot some incredible finds (I know I did) , dine on thick juicy burgers at the Hotel Jefferey, visit the saloons, slip into a feather bed at the B&B and wake with a breakfast at the General Store.

We plan on returning to Coulterville soon, a great find in the Motherlode with a rich history all its own.

by,
Charity Maness

(My little disclaimer:  'To dine or not to dine' is meant to be a helpful - and humorous - informational piece only. I receive no monetary compensation for this column nor do I endorse any one eatery. This is simply my opinion. My tastes will be different from others and I readily admit that I have no culinary background, but I am fairly confident I know when food is cooked correctly or not, whether a drink is poured well or not and especially whether wait staff is first-rate or in need of a career change.)