Saturday, May 25, 2013

Welcome to the Country - Memorial Day by, Charity Maness



Welcome to the Country

So you’ve decided to move to the country where Memorial Day is not just another day to have a bar-b-que.

In the fast and frenzied world of political correctness some of our country’s more traditional holidays seem to have become glossed over with the simple promise and expectation of a paid day off, block parties, and fun in the sun. Sometimes the true meaning of the holiday itself seems to get lost amid all the activity.

Out here in the country we have not forgotten what Memorial Day stands for. It’s not just another paid holiday, another day to bar-b-que, and play in the sun.

It’s a day to remember.

I am the grand daughter of an Air Force veteran, step daughter of a Navy veteran, niece of an Air Force veteran, and mother of a Marine. This I say with great pride. I remember my roots, where I came from, how my country allows me to live free each and every day of my life. I am able to say what I wish, think how I like, live my dreams, and reach my full potential because of those that went before me, those that blazed the trails ensuring my safety, my freedom, my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

On Memorial Day, in the country, while we laugh with friends, enjoy the fruits of our labor, and flip a few burgers, we will remember those that made that possible; those that died in our nation’s service for our freedom.

“Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.”

Until next time…Welcome to the Country.

Follow Charity Maness on Facebook, Twitter, and www.charitymaness.com