Friday, March 29, 2013

To Dine or Not To Dine

This weeks restaurant - Talulah's in downtown Sonora.

I have to say that I have walked by this cute little gem nestled among shops on Washington Street a few times and though the cuisine looked amazing in the menu...the doors were closed.

So lucky me, on a day out with the girls, Talulah's was open! The small cafe style entrance gives way to a much larger dining area that begets friendship and a wonderful dining experience. Tables were simply decorated and the ambiance was wonderful, tin ceiling, Fleur de lis crown molding and hard wood flooring harking back to a day of rustic elegance. In addition, the art that graces the walls are from local artists.

Greeted by Mark, a waiter with more energy and panache than I have witnessed in the foothills, we are quickly seated and sipping iced lemon waters...bubbly on the way.

The menu was both eclectic and mouthwatering. Each entree was so different from the next that everyone's palate was sure to be pleased.


The meal began with a fresh baked baguette drizzled with olive oil seasoned with basil, chili peppers, oregano, garlic and an unidentifiable delectable spice. We had two servings:) The soup of the day was a tomato basil with chunks of tomato and thick with spices and flavor.

Partner in crime number 1 ordered spaghetti with meatballs. Just the right amount of noodles al dente with huge meatballs covered in a savory marinara with fresh parmesan. Number 2 had a difficult time deciding but finally settled on the steak salad which was heaped high with perfectly cooked steak, toppings and more. I, falling back on my all-time favorite, ordered an eggplant mozzarella panini. What can I say, I have a soft spot for eggplant, when cooked correctly it is divine, though when not cooked correctly it would certainly cause someone to not try it again, mine was sheer perfection. My panini was a bit overcooked on one side, but other than that, it was a dish I will gladly order again.

Though most would be full with this lunch, this was a party, so we spoiled ourselves with a little dessert. Caramelized topped cheese cake and an Italian creme cake with a vanilla creme filling and a lemon glaze. The lemon glaze was without a doubt the best lemon glaze I have ever tasted, bordering on sinful.

Owner Katharine Payne stopped by our table on occasion to make sure all was to our liking. At times our responses were muffled due to the food in our mouths at others we were clearly complimnetary.

A 'must dine' restaurant in the foothills.

For more information of Talulah's visit http://www.talulahs.com/HOME.html

by,
Charity Maness

(My little disclaimer:  'To dine or not to dine' is meant to be a helpful - and humorous - informational piece only. I receive no monetary compensation for this column nor do I endorse any one eatery. This is simply my opinion. My tastes will be different from others and I readily admit that I have no culinary background, but I am fairly confident I know when food is cooked correctly or not, whether a drink is poured well or not and especially whether wait staff is first-rate or in need of a career change.)