Thursday, February 23, 2012

Kindness Essay winner Charis Hulbert

9 year-old Charis Hulbert is a student in Mrs. Bauers 4th grade class. Charis likes writing and reading not limiting herself to any particular genre saying that she "likes all kinds of books" but her favorite right now is the Magic Treehouse series.

Charis knew she would write about her Grandma once she understood the theory behind the assignment, but putting her feelings into words was difficult. "It was easy to know what I felt but hard to write."
Living with her Grandmother since pre-school Charis said that she has only seen her mother once, "no calls, thats it, just once for a month."

Nervous about reading her essay to a large crowd Charis has been practicing.


Click read more to read Charis's essay.

My Kindness Hero
By, Charis Hulbert

My kindness hero is my Grandma, Adean Hulbert, who somebody who has helped me through tough times. One reason she is my kindness hero is because she took me out of motels, hotels and crowded shelters. She gave me a good loving home. She says tht I cook the best eggs and she taught me how. Another reason she is my kindness hero is that she helps me with my school work. She helps me with hard things on my math. She has also taught me not to give up on what I have started. She is loving and will never stop being my kindness hero.



Background on Kindness Essay contest.
Each year, for the past 20 years, students at Copperopolis Elementary and Mark Twain Elementary have been participating in a Kindness Hero Essay Contest during Kindness Week.

The students from grade K through 8 each compose an essay featuring their kindness hero and explaining why they chose that person. A kindness hero can be a family member, friend, teacher, etc. Teachers then choose only one essay from the whole class and submit them to a review board for further judging. When the judging is complete the children with the 'winning' essays will then participate in an open reading night at the Angels Camp City Council meeting, where they wil read their essays. They will also head over to Foothill Village to make a presentation to the Seniors in residence. A representative from Foothill Village said that the residents are so looking forward to the reading day. While it is an essay contest, each child is a winner as they learn not only how to compose an essay but they also  learn that kindness, a seemingly simple act, can touch someone so deeply it can leave a lasting impression.

Please check in each day this week as the Copper Gazette will highlight daily a different kindness hero essay winner from Copperopolis Elementary...their stories will touch your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment