Sunday, February 20, 2011

Update from Russ Thomas


Somalia is a peculiar place.  I bet you see some sensational story in the news almost every day, right?  Well, it is true that there are dangers here, but most folks are pretty casual about it.  For instance, there is a portion of the city that is very near the east end of the airport runway.  (You can easily see what I'm talking about by looking at the image on Google Earth.) Almost everyday, you can hear fire-fights that are probably only a half mile away, but oddly, the soldiers on the grounds of the airport don't even look in the direction of the noise.  I watch their reactions, and I figure.....when they panic, I'll panic!  It reminds me a little of some of the stories I've read about our Civil War, where civilians would often gather on nearby hilltops and casually watch the fighting.  The only time I really feel "at risk" is when we go out into the city in the armored convoys.  A well-placed RPG could really make a mess of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment